I am a registered social worker, positive psychology practitioner and integrative therapist with over 30 years of experience in working with people to have a better life. My work is trauma informed, person centred and humanistic.
Mostly I am human, experiencing life with all that shows up, joy, loss, grief, play, being courageous to tell the truth quicker, connect with others and celebrate life in all it’s forms. My work takes me all over the world, in 2019 I have been working in Australia, New Zealand, Estonia, the UK and the United States. I work with individuals, teams, groups and organisations to facilitate change that frees people up to be more of who they are in whatever they are doing.
My work has afforded me the luxury of working alongside art therapists, group therapists, academics, creatives in the music industry (I used to manage bands), hosting salons, supper nights and opening the first Happiness on the High Street pop-up shop called Urban Woot. I am the founder of Guerrilla Hugs, raising awareness of the importance of platonic touch throughout life, increasing connection through the use of touch.
I live in London, keep bees, like to run (slowly), walk (hike), cycle, bake sourdough, grow vegetables, love to cook and have a daily gratitude practice #gratitude365. I love film and am passionate about the positive effect cinema can have on how and who we are!
- Positive Psychology; working from a strengths base, exploring your values, what you love to do and how you would like to enhance your wellness in the world you live in.
- Physical activity
- Positive Relationships
- Strengths & Values
- Being human
- Cultural Humility; is a humble and respectful attitude toward individuals of other cultures that pushes one to challenge their own cultural biases, realise they cannot possibly know everything about other cultures, and approach learning about other cultures as a lifelong goal and process.
- PCS Model –
- Personal; family, cultural, gender, how our traits impact on us in the world
- Cultural; shared belief’s, commonalities
- Structural; systemic influences – discrimination based on identity, belief’s, socio-economic status
- Holistic; thinking together how our physical and emotional health effects us, natural medicine, broader than pathologising individuals.
- Trauma informed practice – awareness of self, the impact of trauma (traumatic events) and how to work sensitively with survivors.
- Motivational Interviewing; a person-centred behaviour change intervention, discovering and supporting what changes you want to make and how/when/if this is what you want to do?
- Connection; nothing changes without connection to self, others and the environment you live in.
- Touch; researching the importance of platonic touch in everyday life for life!
Education & Training
BA Hons Social Work, 1995
Diploma in Social Work, 1995
MA Social Work, research, policy evaluation, 1998
MSc Applied Positive Psychology, 2012
Neal’s Yard Foundation in Natural Medicine, 2000
Motivational Interviewing Trainer, 2001
Current Course of Study: Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Level I: Affect Dysregulation, Survival Defenses, and Traumatic Memory
Ceasefire – Irish Women and Domestic Violence (applying MI) 1995 Undergraduate dissertation
See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil: Substance misusing parents – A Community Response? MA Dissertation. University of Hertfordshire, 1998.
Barriers to accessing support: perspectives on mental health needs of the Asian communities in North Hertfordshire: a research report for the Mann Project, Ravidassia Community Centre, Hitchin, North Hertfordshire/ by Roger Green and Majella Greene Publisher: Ravidassia Community Centre, 2000
HIV Services: London Scoping, 2000
UEL – Birkbeck Research Assistant for the SPARK “Evaluation of the implementation of the NRI’s SPARK curriculum” and “Differential Susceptibility to School-Based Resilience-Promotion Intervention” (2011)
UEL – Consultancy Project: Designing an accessible well-being intervention for London Green Badge Taxi Drivers, 2011
UEL MSc Dissertation A mixed method study of well-being and platonic touch (2012).
A Neo-Marxist Critique of Positive Psychology (2012) Academia.eu
Short Courses CPD:
Youth & Community Worker, 1989
Narrative Therapy, 1996
Solution Focused Brief Therapy, 1996
Women in Leadership, 1997
Relational Health Audit Tool, 2004
Best Interest Assessor (Mental Capacity Act), 2007